Professional Writing and Communication Graduate Certificate (UW-Milwaukee)
The Departments of English and Communication jointly offer a new Graduate Certificate in Professional Writing and Communication. The certificate appeals to students beyond the BA level who seek professional training and education to advance their careers.
The Graduate Certificate Program in Professional Writing and Communication is designed for students who wish to pursue professional careers in technical writing, communication, corporate training and instructional design, or user interface and web-document design. Because all courses are offered online through web-based distance education, students can attend the courses and fulfil the coursework independent from place and time while continuing to work full time.
The certificate offers an interdisciplinary curriculum that will enable students to develop exceptionally strong writing and communication skills in the following areas:
- Technical writing, information development and document design
- Communication across organizations and technical operations
- Communication theory and organizational communication
- Group communication and teamwork
- User interface design and web design
- Instructional design and training program development
- Project management and client requirements documentation
- Usability testing, evaluation and measurement
- Technical skills (such as HTML, XML and scripting languages)
Students can specialize in these areas through individual and team projects that turn theory into practice, critically evaluate communication contexts, analyze audience needs, manage projects, and solve communication and writing problems.
Total credits required for completion: 15
Applicants to the Certificate Program must have completed a baccalaureate degree with a minimum cumulative undergraduate GPA of 2.75 and must submit the following materials with their graduate school application:
- Two letters of recommendation
- A writing sample
- A statement of purpose
- A statement describing Internet and computer access