University of Wisconsin Master of Science in Data Science (MS-DS) (Collaborative Program)
Organizations in nearly every industry are racing to hire qualified professionals with the skills to transform big data into big insights and better decisions—and these data scientists are in short supply. That is why we created the University of Wisconsin Master of Science in Data Science in an online format that is ideal for busy adults.
Through an engaging, multidisciplinary 12-course, 36-credit curriculum that combines computer science with math and statistics, management, and communication, you will learn how to clean, organize, analyze, and interpret unstructured data, deriving knowledge and communicating your discoveries clearly to stakeholders using sophisticated visualization techniques and other means.
- Business intelligence analyst
- Data modeler
- Data or research analyst
- Hadoop engineer
- Data mining engineer
- Data scientist
- Data warehouse architect
- Predictive modeler
- Data visualization specialist
- Financial analyst
Credits for Completion
To complete this degree, you will take 12 online courses totaling 36 credits. Because of the unique nature of this program, other courses may not be substituted for courses in the curriculum, and there are no electives.
Admission to the UW Master of Science in Data Science requires:
- A bachelor's degree and a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0. Official college transcripts are required. (Students with a GPA of less than 3.0 may be considered for a provisional admission. Please connect with an enrollment adviser for more information.)
- Prerequisite coursework in elementary statistics, introductory computer programming, and introduction to databases. Relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of this coursework. Please contact an enrollment adviser for details.
- Your resume
- Two letters of recommendation (can be professional or academic)
- A personal statement of up to 1,000 words describing the reasons behind your decision to pursue this degree and what you believe you will bring to the data science field. Space for the personal statement is included in the online application.
- No aptitude tests (GMAT, GRE) are required
How to Apply
Visit the Master of Science in Data Science website and choose the Application and Admission page under the "Get Started" tab. A friendly enrollment adviser will be happy to guide you through the application process.
This program is a collaboration of the University of Wisconsin-Extension and six University of Wisconsin degree-granting institutions.